Everything You Need To Know About Labrador Retrievers





 Labrador Retrievers are an amazing dog breed! They are loyal, loving, and they live for one thing: to please you. I know this because I own a golden Labrador Retriever, and my parents and grandparents own a black Labrador Retriever. I have so many experiences and stories that I could tell you, but first, let's talk a little bit about the breed itself. 

Colours

Labs can come in several different colours including Black, Yellow (this colour includes different shades of Golden and White) and Chocolate or Brown. You may also find silver Labs, but they are very uncommon. There are some myths about what types of attitudes the different colours may have, but the truth is, the colour really doesn't matter. If you are wanting to buy a Lab, then pick whichever colour you want! 

Energy Level

I will not lie, Labs are energetic... Very energetic! Sadie and Wrenna (our two Labrador Retrievers) can chase their toys around outside all day, and not tire. It is like they have some kind of never ending energy. This isn't a totally bad thing though, because if they are put to work you can control their energy and how they use it. 

Trainability

Labrador Retrievers are very smart, and, if you start early, you can train any dog. Labrador Retrievers can be very eager to learn with the right reward. I taught my Lab Wrenna some dog agility just a couple months ago. By the end of the afternoon she could go over the jumps, onto a homemade ramp, and onto a low platform. I used some cooked eggs and meat for her treat. When you know their favourite reward, they will do pretty much anything for you! 

English or American

There are two types of Labs. I have owned both, and there are definitely differences between the two. I wish I knew the differences before I got my Lab, but I learn from my mistakes to help you! Before we begin, I want you to know that English and American Labs are not two different breeds, they are just two different types of a dog within the breed. 

English Lab

An English Lab is bread to be a show dog. They are smaller, and more boxy. Their temperaments are more easy going and calm. Although you might not be buying this dog to show, this Lab will have a much easier temperament. If you are wanting a dog who will go on leisurely walks with you or cuddle at home then the English Lab is the one for you. 

American Lab or Field Lab




American, or field Labs are bred for one thing. Hunting. They are bread to have boundless energy for chasing ducks and birds. I have two American Labs, and they live up to their description. You have to put these Labs to work or else there will be tons of pent up energy that you do not want to deal with. Although these Labs are full of energy, I still love them as equally as the easy going English Lab. 


Exercise Needs
Both of my Labrador Retrievers are outdoor dogs. They have their own yard to run and play in, but that doesn't give me an out for exercising them. I take my Lab on a daily walk, and she gets time outside of her yard to play and run. Labrador Retrievers need lots of exercise. With all that energy they can't sit at home all day, this is a working dog, not a cuddle buddy. 

I hope I have made it a little easier to decide wether a Lab is a good decision for you or not. I love this breed, their energy, their fun loving personalities, and their classic looks. Remember that Labs are not meant for everyone, so think about all areas in your life, including how active you are, how much time you have to spend with your dog, and how your living space with change with a large dog in the house before rushing into this exciting decision. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything you need to know about Frenchtons

Why Your Dog Get's Absolutely Crazy

My Dog's "Life Story"