What you need before getting a puppy

Now that you have made the big decision, I'm going to go over most of what you need before you get your dog or puppy. First, here is a list of things that I have found helpful for my dogs and I. At the very bottom I have a complete list, without descriptions. 

1. Kennel 

Rory Sitting pretty in her wire crate. 

If you didn't know already, dogs are den animals. They enjoy having their place. So having a kennel is a great idea! Also, having a kennel is very helpful when you need to leave for a longer period of time. There are several different types of kennels. One is a wire crate. This is what I use, some like it, some don't. Wire crates can have two doors, and they usually have a tray to catch any pee. I find this very helpful, especially when you have a puppy who isn't potty trained yet. What I like to do with my wire crate is put a blanket on top of it to make the puppy feel more secure inside. To make it even more homey for your dog, you can add a mat or blanket inside. Another type of crate is the soft, or mesh crate. These are also great for traveling. They can usually fold like a tent, which makes them easy to bring into the car. The mesh crate is made out of soft, breathable mesh, which can make it more comfy for the dog. The last type of crate is the plastic crate. This is obviously made out of plastic with holes in the sides to make it more breathable. You can make this more comfortable by adding a blanket or mat. 


2. Collar/Harness

For my dogs, I have both a collar and a harness. I have a Frenchton, so with her smaller snout I prefer to use a harness. But with my Labrador Retriever I have a collar. The only time I have a collar or harness on my Frenchton is when we are on a walk. Collars are nice because you can easily attach a leash and ID tag to your dog. Really, the only difference between a collar and a harness is that the harness is around the body, not the neck. I have both for each of my dogs. 

3. ID Tag

That brings me to my next item on the list. An ID tag. This is very handy because if your dog was to ever run away, she would have her name, address, and/or phone number. This gives me a lot of peace when I am outside. It is just a safe way to make sure someone could locate you if your dog ever ran away. 

4. Leash

This is very useful when you are trying to walk or train your dog. You can get a cheap one a the Dollar Store, or you can buy a retractable leash at your local pet store. I'm cheap so I just have a short leash, but you can do whatever works best for you. 

5. Dog Bed 


I have two different dog beds, the flat one I like to use for the "place" command. 

I like dog beds because one, they are so cute, and two, they are great for giving your dog a comfortable place to sleep. There are so many kinds of dog beds, you don't need to stress over which type to choose. The really only thing you have to make sure of, is that your dog will fit it. You don't want your dog's bed to be too big, or too small. 

6. Food and Water Bowls 



These are a simple necessity. I like the stainless steel ones because they are easy to wash. Plastic is fine also, it really doesn't matter. Whatever you want for your dog. If you are getting an outdoor dog they have heated water bowls, which I find very helpful!

7. Dog Toys 

I have a drawer for all of Rory's toys to help keep my room organized. 

Dogs love to play! And to do so, they need toys. If you are having troubles deciding what kind of toy to get your dog, just get one of each kind. A rope or tug toy, a chew toy, a plush toy, and a ball. These are all the kinds of toys you could get. My Frenchton Rory loves plush toys, because they either squeak, or crinkle. If you buy one of each, your dog will eventually lean towards liking one toy more than the others, then you can buy more of that toy. 

8. Grooming Supplies

This category includes dog grooming brushes, nail clippers, dog shampoo, and towels. Anything you use to take care of your dog in your everyday life. Everything I stated above would be very handy to have, even if you are planning on taking your dog to the groomer. You can easily buy grooming supplies on Amazon. 

9. Potty Pads

I find these very helpful when you are getting a new puppy. I don't use these for potty training, but they are nice to have when you are driving with your dog. 

10. Dog Food

This is one of the most important things to get your dog. I won't go into a lot of detail about what kind to get, but I will tell you this: read the ingredients of the dog food you are planning on feeding your dog, the first two or three should be real food like chicken, peas, and chicken broth. I do this to make sure I'm feeding my dog real food, not just genetically modified food, or a whole lot of preservatives.  You can also feed your dog a raw food diet. I don't do this, but if you do your research, I'm sure you can safely do this. 

11. A Vet

If you are getting a dog, then you need a vet. That way you can get your dog immunized, and you can have someone to turn to when you have any questions concerning your dog's health. Find a local vet that your friends go to, or one that has high reviews so you can be comfortable taking your dog there. 

12. Blankets

This is something that I have on hand all the time. With my puppy Rory, I put blankets that I bought at the thrift store in her kennel. That way, I won't feel bad if she has an accident on them, or chews them up. 



Here is a list of things that I found useful for my dog. 
  • Kennel
  • Collar/Harness
  • ID Tag
  • Leash
  • Dog Bed
  • Food and Water Bowls
  • Dog Toys
  • Food Bin
  • Grooming Supplies
    • Nail Clippers
    • Dog Grooming Brush
    • Shampoo for Dogs
    • Towel
  • Potty Pads
  • Dog Bones/Chews
  • Dog Food
  • Dog Treats
  • Extra Blankets
  • Dog Exercise-Pen
Hope you have fun shopping for your new puppy or dog! This list just covers the basics, so if you think of something else that you feel would be useful, then feel free to share in the comments! 











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything you need to know about Frenchtons

Why Your Dog Get's Absolutely Crazy

My Dog's "Life Story"